Hi, this is Yang Wang’s personal site. He is a Computational Media Artist, Designer, and Coder based in New York.
At 2017, He founded an interactive studio with his partner Zhenzhen Qi, please go to Power Nap Studio.
He also formed an art and research collective with his life/work partner Zhenzhen Qi – zzyw:
zzyw is an art and research collective formed by Yang Wang and Zhenzhen Qi in New York, 2017. It produces software application, installation, and text as instruments to examine the cultural, political and educational imprints of computational objects.
Yang is a designer, a computational media artist, and a software developer based in Brooklyn, New York. He is the co-founder and Director of Art & Technology of New York-based research & production studio Power Nap, Besides creating his own artwork and working with QI Zhenzhen.
He also works as a Technical Artist & Developer for simulation artist Ian Cheng founded production company MetisSuns since 2016. He is a full-time creative technologist at the LAB studio in Rockwell Group. He is a member of New Museum led art & tech. incubator NEW INC for the year of 2019 to 2020, and recently awarded a Technology Residency at the New York based art institution Pioneer Works. He was the former Technical Director of Shanghai based new media art agency OUTPUT Lab, and was the former Interaction Designer at New York Financial District based interaction design firm Potion.
Throughout Yang’s practice, computation serves as both a tool for art-making, and the subject of study. His work utilizes simulation to recreate conditions for critical examination.
Yang holds a BA from University of Science & Technology, Beijing (USTB) in Artistic Design and graduated from the Interactive Telecommunication Program (ITP), New York University, with a MPS in 2014.
Residency / Membership
- 2020 Fall ~ Technology Resident, Pioneer Works, Brooklyn, NY
- 2019 – 2020 ~ Members, NEW INC, New York, NY
- 2015 Spring ~ Resident Artists, Laboratory Residency, Spokane, WA
- 2020 ~ Brooklyn Arts Fund – “Too Art, Too Game”
- 02/2021 -> Present: ThingThingThing – “World On A Wire”, curated by Rhizome of New Museum, Hyundai Motorstudio Beijing, Seoul and Moscow and Online http://worldonawire.net/
Selected Past Group Exhibition
- 11/2019 -> 12/2019: The Creativity Machine & ThingThingThing “As-Helix” @ National Museum of China, Beijing, China
- 11/2018 -> 03/2019: ThingThingThing “Bad Code” @ Power Station of Art, Shanghai, China
- 06/2018: ThingThingThing “On Collaboration” @ Macy Art Gallery, Teachers College, Columbia University, New York, NY, US
- 06/2018: PRISM “.Zip Season 2” @ 3LD Art & Technology Center, New York, NY , US
- 03/2018: The Creativity Machine “New Texture” @ Czong Institute for Contemporary Art Museum, South Korea
- 03/2018: The Black Box, Another Internet “Refest 2.0” @ La Mama Galleria, New York, NY, US
- 02/2018: TV Man “UNCOMPRESSED” @ 3LD Art & Technology Center, New York, NY, US
- 09/2017: The Mind Ocean, The Black Box, “Selfie” @ CultureHub, New York, NY, US
- 09/2017: Shell, @ Riverside Art Museum, Beijing, China
- 05/2016: The Mind Ocean, “Calm Before/After the Storm” @ BHQFU Gallery, Brooklyn, NY, US
- 08/2015: Zero “Governor’s Island Art Fair” @ Governor’s Island, New York, NY, US
Past Solo Exhibition
- 06/2016: LENNA @ Chinatown Soup, New York, NY, US
- 07/2016: The Mind Ocean, The Black Box, Sukhavati, Book of Happiness @ FL:EX Gallery, Shanghai, China
- 05/2015: The Introspection Game @ Laboratory Gallery, Spokane, WA, US